Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts
With the help of the eID card citizens of the European Union as well as the European EWR may use digital offers of German authorities. The eID card will then substitute the German identity card or a German residence permit.
Please note that the eID card can only be used for digital services. The card will not substitute any national passport nor identity card. It cannot be used as a passport or identity card at the border.
The eID card will be valid for 10 years. It cannot be prolonged. After expiration a new card can be applied for if special circumstances are proven.
Who can apply for a eID card?
- EU citizens and
- Citizens of EWR (Island, Liechtenstein, Norway)
- Who are not German citizens and
- Who are (at least) 16 years old.
- Passport or national identity card (e.g. Personalausweis)
- Lithuanian residence permit
- Lithuanian registration
- Fee: 37€
Applications can only be submitted in person upon appointment. Appointments (in the category German identity documents) can only be booked here.
- https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/downloads/DE/publikationen/themen/moderne-verwaltung/Broschuere_ihr_Personalausweis.html;jsessionid=4F6083C1956797968B1009BC36762E26.1_cid295 (in German only)